Frequently Asked Questions

Policy & Coverage

How does volunteer coverage work?
A Voluntary Compensation (VC) Endorsement is added to the policy that defines volunteers working on behalf of the association as employees for the Workers’ Compensation Act requirements. This means their injuries are treated like any other work-related injury and paid for by the Workers’ Compensation Policy on a first dollar basis.
How does the audit process work for If-Any WC Policies?
We have the easiest audit process in the industry! Within 60 days of expiration, the agency account manager tied to the transaction in our system (not the insured) will receive an email asking one question: Did the insured add any direct employees during the prior policy term? We don’t send a 7-page questionnaire to the manager or board members, just a simple email to the agency representative associated with that policy.
What if the association adds direct payroll during the year?
We will endorse the policy back to the date of hire to add the employee, and charge the appropriate AP (additional premium). The policy will be converted from an If-Any Policy to Payroll Policy. All Payroll Policy audit processes will be applicable at the end of the policy term.
Does the program cover sole proprietors?
Typically, sole proprietors are not subject to the labor code requirements (or the state allows them to opt-out if they are subject to the act). However, if a sole proprietor is injured while working for the association and the Workers’ Compensation Appeals Board or Labor Commission determine the injured party is actually an employee of the insured, then the individual would be covered.
How does this coverage compare to a Volunteer Accident Policy?
Accident & Health or Accident Death & Dismemberment (commonly known as A&H or AD&D) Policies are the typical insurance solutions proposed for covering volunteers. These types of policies provide nowhere near the coverage a true Voluntary Compensation (VC) Endorsement on a WC Policy does. These polices typically have co-pays, deductibles and coverage limits.
How are claims for uninsured contractors triggered on an If-Any WC Policy?
When someone is injured on the job and seeks medical attention, the first question they are asked is, “Was this a work-related injury?” When the injured person replies, “yes” it triggers WC billing from the medical provider. If that provider seeks a WC Policy from the employer and does not find one, they can turn that claim into the local Appeals Board or Labor Commission, whichever entity is responsible for settling WC claims disputes for the state. The entity will determine who is responsible for the injured party as it relates to the labor code requirements to provide benefits, and assign the loss to the responsible party or parties. If the Association is the unlucky recipient of that assignment, the If-Any portion of the policy will be engaged and treat the injured person as though they were a direct employee under the Workers’ Compensation Policy.

Payments & Financing

Are there payment options?
For If-Any (non-payroll) Minimum Premium Policies we only accept one-time, full-payments. For Payroll Policies we have an installment schedule available.
How do I arrange for financing with CAIS if my policy is eligible?
During the quote and bind process, instructions will be provided by the underwriter.
Does CAIS accept outside financing for the If-Any WC program?
No, these are direct bill policies and fully earned in some states. We do accept outside financing for other programs.
Does CAIS accept credit cards?
Yes. Visit and click on Register Here (if you are new user).

NOTICE: By using the EVO eZpay credit card payment option, the cardholder understands and agrees that Community Association Insurance Solutions, LLC. is only able to accept credit card payment through the cardholder’s use of an independent, third-party processing service that will process a payment by credit card on the cardholder’s behalf. Any issues arising from the use of this third-party payment service are between the cardholder and EVO eZpay. EVO eZpay imposes a per-transaction fee directly to the cardholder. The fee will appear as a separate transaction from the policy payment on the cardholder’s credit card statement, and the fee will not appear on the online policy, as it is an independent, third-party charge.

Where should I send the payment for bound If-Any WC Policies?
Regular Mail:
PO BOX 969
Westbrook, CT 06498

Overnight Mail:
CAIS, LLC – Billing Management Services
Attn: Chris Clark
34 Westbrook Place
Westbrook, CT 06498

***For all other policies send payments to:
5045 Robert J. Mathews Parkway
Suite 100
El Dorado Hills, CA 95762

Payments can also be made via our Check by Fax Authorization form.


What commission amount does CAIS offer?
Commissions vary by line of business and by state. At the time a policy is bound, the underwriter can provide commission amounts.

Broker of Record Process

What is the Broker of Record (BOR) process?
We will accept a BOR letter at any time during the policy term, but the BOR must be received no later than one business day prior to the next renewal date in order for the new broker to receive commission for the renewal term. BORs not received in this timeframe will be acknowledged, but the new agent is considered the Broker/Agent of Service and no commissions will be paid to the new agent until the next renewal. The BOR letter must be submitted on the insured’s letterhead or an Acord 36 Form. It must include the current policy number and the name of the new broker as it appears on their insurance license. BOR letters must be signed and currently dated by an authorized representative of the association (board member or property manager, if authorized).